Thursday, July 21, 2011

Out of the Closet

Not me, my clothes ;)

I got up nice and early this morning to get to Spectrum gym and take my first cycling class. First of all, can I just say how nice that gym is?

Last summer, I was a member of the local 24 Hour Fitness gym because it was the cheapest one, and I was just a high school student. Now, that I'm a college student and have even less money so joining a gym this summer didn't seem worth it...especially when I have such beautiful places to run.


But, if I didn't have to think about the cost of things like gym memberships, I would love Spectrum. Even though I was just there using a 3 day coupon, they were so, so nice. I got a full tour of the place (hmm...maybe I should take advantage of their sauna?), and when I went to wait for the cycling class to start the teacher saw that I was new and introduced herself. I should probably stop clutching the copy of the class schedules. It makes me look like the new kid. She was super sweet, and helped me set everything up when I told her it was my first class.

So I liked the class, but didn't love it. A quarter way through the class (aka 15 minutes in), I started getting all huffy because I thought I preferred running. Is it a tad self destructive that I feel like I worked out more when I run because I put more energy into dreading it? Halfway through I realized that these "hills" are hard and that this workout was intense, and my legs were really tired. After the work, I felt happy and accomplished. I would definitely do a spin class again or several more times, but I'm not head over heels in love.
I finished by quickly playing around with 5 pound dumbbells. I did 40 bicep curls, 10 raising arms to the front and then side (I don't have a name for these), 10 tricep extensions, and 30 seconds of sit ups 3 times. I don't really know any strength exercises (which I need to work on), so I just worked with what I knew.

I did get started on something, I've been putting off: clearing out my closet. I have so many clothes that have been hanging in there for literally years, and I really need to donate what I don't want and hopefully rediscover some new clothes.
Our overwhelming enthusiasm to get started on the project!

With the help of my own little Stacey London (read: tough love and hilarious betchy commentary from my best friend), I managed to go through my entire closet and shorts/skirts/leggings drawer. And it feels so so good. Now all I have left is to try on all my "maybe" shirts tomorrow.
All the contents of my closet before they were sorted!
And because I like to end on an even happier note, I had a smoothie almost the size of my head.
Really, it's hard to beat a strawberry-banana smoothie on a hot day (the trick is it has to be served in mug or it won't taste as good ;).

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl, I know what you mean! I did this earlier this summer for a yard sale and it felt SO good to get rid of all the stuff I wasn't wearing anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete