Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Julia loves June!

I can't believe it's already June! I know it's cliche, but it went by so quickly. Here's a quick recap.

A few highlights of May:
- Official start of my blog... I really started posting pretty consistently this month. 
- I finished my freshmen year of college!

- I packed up and left the dorms

- Set a fitness goal
- saw Scott...ok so that's not unusual but still noteworthy :)


- I started to try to cook more

- I went to the Hermosa Beach Fair

- and of course there was a billion other things I have done, but these are just some of the fun things I've mentioned :)

And of course now to look towards the future.
What to look forward too in June:
- HAWAII! My grandma is taking my family to Hawaii for my Mom's birthday. I've only been out of California twice so to say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement.
- Mine and Scott's anniversary is coming up! Yay June 23rd <3
- More fitness goals! I've decided to make it a goal to work out at least 5 times every week (I'm at about 4 right now which is a little more than normal, but I want to make a habit of 5) and to have my normal runs be a distance of 3 miles. As of now, 3 miles is a long distance, but I want to get in the habit of doing  it more.
- I will hopefully be going on a few fun all day/or overnight hikes in LA. These aren't for sure yet, but I really want my Dad to take me and some friends and/or boyfriend to do a few hikes.

Anyway, today I honored National Running Day by going for a run on the strand. Ali and I met at 10 this morning and ran to the pier (1.85 miles), and then ended up walking a half mile before running the last 1.25 miles. I was a little disappointed I didn't make it the whole way through without walking because I remember doing this route my freshmen and sophomore year in high school and had considered it an easy run back then. It was frustrating realizing that I really am starting over on my running endurance, but I am really determined to be able to do 3 straight miles soon. I still had a good workout today though, and was overall pretty happy with the run.

More good news! I got to work at the office today from 12-5! I babysat yesterday too, so for being currently unemployed I would say I'm doing pretty well :)
I ruve business casual
Since I am bad at documenting my meals--it's more of a if I'm in the mood type of thing--I'm just going to focus on a tiny portion of what I'm trying to eat more of... oatmeal! Also known as the most valuable food item in the healthy blogging world.
Since I'm still a big baby with oatmeal (I like it already sweetened), I'm trying to ease myself into eating healthier breakfasts of oatmeal that are still delicious. 
I shall call them my dessert oats.
Yesterday, I used maple syrup flavored oatmeal and put a spoonful (a little less than a tablespoon worth) of peanut butter and vanilla ice cream. This was the most amazing thing I have ever eaten. I don't care if it probably canceled out the health factor of oatmeal, it was worth it. And I actually did not put that much in.


Today, I brought home a small Dove piece of dark chocolate from work (there was a bowl right in front of me which ended up being a major snacking source...oops) and chopped it up to put into my regular oatmeal. Yes you heard me right... my regular no sugar added healthy oatmeal. And yes I put chocolate in it, but according to this it only added an extra 37 calories. Oh and a super small spoonful of peanut butter. As much as I wanted to love this oatmeal, it was good but nothing more. I guess I'm still taking baby steps to making this my new love.

PS sorry the pictures aren't the most beautiful creations. I'll eventually work on it, but I love using those bowls because I can put in the perfect amount of water for thick oatmeal. And I mix in all the toppings after the picture :)


So the oatmeal pictures make me seem really unhealthy, but I can assure you I'm trying to be very careful about what I'm eating. After all I have several important things coming up!

Happy Julia: being able to work today, being able to go to bed relatively early tonight (just post this and  shower!), going for a run after taking a few days off

4 comments:

  1. Hi Julia!
    Looks like you had a great month of May. Congratulations on finishing your freshman year, doesn't it go by crazy fast!?
    Also, if you don't like oatmeal, don't eat it! Only make it if you truly enjoy it. Forcing yourself to consume something because everyone else does will leave you wanting something else as soon as you are done. Trust me, I have been there before
    Oatmeal is quite healthy though like you said, so if you are feelin it, go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flavored oatmeal, but you're right about forcing myself to eat just the regular. I had a ton of snacks after that one. Haha I think I might just stick to what I like even if it's not the healthiest option :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for us starting blogs! I got your comment so I decided to come visit too! :) I started blogging in April, but it was very off and on.. Now I'm trying to be more consistent in updating.

    Will stop by again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi five for finishing first year! In canada we go by 1st 2nd 3rd and so on :)

    and those noodles are so cute, they're smiling at me :)

    ReplyDelete